Saturday 8 March 2014

A Teenage Poem

As a teenager I wrote a lot of poetry. I have a big box of memories which include many of my scribbles and scribes. Recently I came across this poem. I must have been around 13 or 14 when I wrote this. It's not greatly worded, but the sentiment is there.
It made me cry when I read it back. It made me reflect in a terribly self indulgent way. Whatever I feel about it now- or however I felt when I wrote it, I think it speaks volumes about the mind of an ADHD child. And this is what makes me sad.
I don't remember writing it; no idea where I was or what kind of mindset I was carrying at the exact time, but I do remember the poem. And I do remember wrestling with the sentiments behind it and feeling very alone.
I think that any other ADHDers out there will understand.


In Between
I know you think I'm weird
A jeopordising freak,
The truth is what you'll never know
Psychotically unique
My visions can't be understood and that you understand;
You see that I'm a Barbie doll,
The earth, the sea, the sand. 
And if you search inside my soul
You'll find an empty space,
But just above, inside my head
there's a psychedelic place.
As dancing on a bed of straw inside an oak tree's trunk
there lives a group of clouded thoughts
that shriek, then fall down drunk.
So next time that I say something that makes you want to scream,
Remember just one little thing-
I'm always in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment